Embracing diversity in the workplace doesn’t necessarily begin in the workplace. According to diversity experts Paolo Gaudiano and Ellen Hunt, there are a number of things leaders can do outside of work that will help them to better understand and support diversity initiatives in the office.
- Diversify your resources. Dig deeper during your daily dose of news and information. Do some research on the writers at your favorite publications and try to read articles by authors of different backgrounds.
- Stay informed. Subscribe to newsletters that will keep you up to date on the latest in diversity.
- Read something different. Check out literature written by underrepresented minorities. You’ll experience different points of view and come across some great books.
- Travel. For your next vacation, head to a foreign country where you’ll be the minority. You’ll gain a different perspective and get an idea of what it feels like to be surrounded by people who don’t look like you.
- Expand your guest list. If you have a homogenous group of friends, make an effort to diversify. For the next social event you host, try bringing some new people into the mix by asking your friends to invite their friends or including people from your professional network.
For more tips on how to embrace diversity outside of work, read the full article.